Saturday, July 12, 2014

Strong Women Stick Together

This year I've been doing a leadership development program through CORO Pittsburgh called "Women In Leadership." It has been very encouraging and I have learned a lot. The program looks at issues that women leaders deal with and then try to address them to some degree.

Initially, it was somewhat of a survey course giving an overview of the status of women leaders in Southwestern Pennsylvania. We then did some focused sessions on specific issues. We are currently working on a Catalytic Project that will impact women in the area in a positive way having taken our findings into consideration. It's a great program and I am so glad I got involved. I've learned so much about myself and about being an effective leader in different situations.

In studying the status of women we, of course, learned about the pay inequality that women, on average, are paid 75 cents to each dollar that men get paid. We also learned how low the percentage is of women who are in are Executive Director or C-suite (Chief <fill in blank> Officer) positions. This is all pretty sad and disheartening.

I have to say that on my trip I have only been encouraged by the number of women I have interacted with who are in high level roles with rowing organizations. Working with Deb Arenberg at USRowing discussing program development, talking to Executive Directors Betsy Trevarthen with Chicago Rowing Foundation and Francis Mennone at Great Miami Rowing Club about what they are doing and the countless strong and motivated women making programming happen at their clubs. I don't know what the stats are, but my trip has shown me that women in rowing are stepping up!

One issue that happens sometimes, that I think all women can agree with, is that sometimes women leaders can be threatened by other women. I don't know if this might have to do with the low percentage of women in upper leadership. I mean if only 5% of upper management are women, then all the women are competing for those spots? That might be some kind of reasoning for it. Instead of seeing each other as threats, we should be encouraging each other, sharing with each other and helping push each other forward to better ourselves and our society. Not accepting the 5%, but pushing for a higher percentage that includes all of us strong women - 50%!

I had a great conversation with Carie Graves, my college coach, when I stayed with her up near Madison WI about this. There are still far fewer female head coaches around, but this is changing slowly but surely. It was great hearing about some of her experiences as head coach at the University of Texas for the last 16 years.

A friend of mine and a great singles competitor, Meghan Brundage who now rows out of Riverside in Boston, came up with a great idea to help female rowers link up with each other and spur each other on to greatness. She developed a Facebook group titled: Women Rowers Professional Network.  I encourage you (if you're a female rower) to join the group and help encourage other women in what they are doing while you receive the same support.

From working with the other 28 women in my cohort of Women In Leadership I have learned so much and been challenged in great ways that I wouldn't have imagined. Getting involved with a  community of diverse people is an excellent way to grow! And why not start by linking up with other strong women rowers! Iron sharpens iron!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home